Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Tuesday 31 May 2005

3k TT PB & a blogging challenge

This blog was going to be about how I got out of bed this morning, ran a bit quicker than the last TT and then went to work... however I was presented a challenge via email before I had chance to write that particular version of events, the challenge was as follows;


How about a stirring, no holds barred insight into your Sub 13 Run this morning which took you into "another world"!!! :)

Your run this morning deserves the kind of inspirational writing that makes the reader wanna exit the office immediately and go for a run, regardless of the fact that they've already trained this AM!!


So, I'm feeling the pressure now, but as the request came from my very favourite pacer, I feel obliged to give it a go.....

With barely seconds to go Matt offered to pace MJ & myself to come in sub-13mins. My previous pb was 13.02, but this had been a flat-out effort to obtain, and with Touch the night before until 10pm I was feeling pretty tired and flat this morning, so any help I could get was going to be great.
Matt was still explaining to us as we started off what the splits were going to be... never ran with a pacer before so this was all new and exciting, took my mind off the fact we'd started off pretty fast, well took my mind off it for about the first 500meters till we reached the hill, then it started to hurt.
As we neared the ended up the first k, someone shouted out '4 mins'. I was sure our first split was meant to be about 4.10, that gave me 10seconds to get to turnaround point, which I couldnt see at that point as a car was in the way... made it, just, wasnt quite sure how I was going to get the second, let alone third k done to come in under 13mins, was feeling pretty tired at this point. As we approached 1.5k and got over the top of the hill, something kicked in. I dont know if its because I knew I was half way, because Matt was yelling out us (nice stuff of course) or because the lead group were beginning to pass us on their way to the finish, but I found some extra speed. Feeling strong I concentrated on the 2km marker. This is my third TT and on all three I have found the last K home actually the easiest, I think its because you can 'almost smell the finish'!
1km to go and I really wanted to make sure I was going to be under my sub-13min goal. How much did it hurt running up that hill for a final time!! I was running ahead of Matt now but could still hear him yelling out encouraging things to me. Sights firmly fixed on both the group in front (they weren't going to get away :-) ) my stopwatch and the nearing finish I pushed towards the final 500meters. I could hear Matt yelling at me to dig deep in the final 400meters. I could hear the guys at the end by this point, I could also hear MJ coming up close behind me again & Matt was still yelling out encouragement! I was pushing too hard to look at my watch, but I knew Matt was running a sub-13 so as longs he didnt get ahead I was still on target.
I entered the funnel and crossed the line at 12.49! Whooo-hoooo, goal obtained. I'd only been there a second and Tess came over and started jumping up and down around me... I would have loved to have joined her, but I dont think there was a bit of me that wasn't hurting at that point!!
How I am going to better that time I'm not sure, but hey, I always liked a challenge!!!

6 Comments:

At Tue May 31, 02:00:00 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations on the fantastic PB and the great account !!!!

 
At Tue May 31, 02:38:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Yay Chelle! I knew you would get under the 13 mins but to do it so convincingly was just amazing. Big congratulations.

How great is our Puntermatt. Its so good to have him back at training. And we've gotta make the most of him while he is easing himself back into hanging out with the 'A' team again.

So Chelle, gonna revise the goal for the 10k on Sunday ;-)

 
At Tue May 31, 06:31:00 pm, Blogger miners said...

I love stories like this chelle.

Congratulations missy. You must have been on a high all day. So have you coaxed the Bee up to a higher pace group for GC?

 
At Wed Jun 01, 01:09:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic effort, Chelle! 2nd time sub-13mins.....that's huge! 3 in a row should be a breeze for you!

 
At Wed Jun 01, 02:24:00 pm, Blogger Matty said...

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

That was an awesome post Chelle and really captured your experience with detail and emotion!

Your strength at taking off for home ahead of me at around the 2.2km mark indicates to me that you have a Sub 12 run in you - possibly some time before Christmas if you keep training well and stay relatively injury and certainly inside a year.

It might seem like a long way off considering how much you hurt after the run but believe me when I say that you can do it!!

Go get em Chelle!!!

PM

 
At Wed Jun 01, 04:59:00 pm, Blogger Clairie said...

Dammit another great peformance I missed witnessing.

I hope you let me run with you when I get back. I fear I am going to be so out of shape I will be starting again.

Can't wait to see you do the next one Chelle, it will be just as gut wrenching but just as rewarding as well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home