Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Monday 22 May 2006

wwww.Wicked Warwick Weekend.com

What a fantastic weekend, no wonder there is excitement about this event weeks before it and talk of it weeks afterwards too. I dont know of another event on the calendar when you get to run with such a great bunch of people, not just once, but 5 times in a weekend and squeeze a couple dinners, road trips and a few chats around a protein bar or two (I am officially off protein bars for at least a week now... never would be too soon to see another one currently :) )


The weekend started with number collection and quickly headed off to the H&J for dinner. As the night went on more and more familar and soon-to-be familiar faces wandered in, providing a great opportunity to catch up. At 9pm Lis and I headed back to our palace for an early night ahead of the next days events.


The Half was starting before I knew it, MJ and I got to 2km in 10minutes and quickly put on the brakes. I soon found myself running solo, quite happy too listening to my ipod and taking in the fantastic country around us. Perfect morning and perfect company too, the little chats I had with the guys (Davo, Glenno, Jo, Schultzy) as we headed towards the hills helped the finish seem nearer than it was. 1.53 finish for me, which is only 6 mins off my pb, so fairly happy with that. A couple of moments around 16-18km where 'how will I back this up' came in to my head, but on the whole a very enjoyable run.

Back to the room, quick shower and change, some needed water and carbs, next thing I knew it we were having our CR photo taken at the x-country. Out of everything this weekend, the x-country hurt the most and accordingly felt the longest / further /steepest event of all, even though the opposite couldnt be more true. 4.53 for the first k quickly slowed to 5.10 / 5.20 /5.30 for the following ones. I wanted to run, but my legs did not agree with what my head was telling them to do. I got to the end in 24.11 and have never been so happy to finish a run!

Another quick shower and change and back out to the 5000m road race start at the Big W warehouse. This was a much better run, the couple of long down hills helped me to get in to a good rhythm and I managed to finish feeling fairly fresh in 24.41.

A fantastic night of food, trivia and prizes ensued. I even managed to start my own BLING collection with a Gold for the Half and Bronze for the other two events that day. Okay, so I have a small category, but it feels good to receive the placing all the same :)


Sunday morning I woke up expecting to be in real pain and suprised myself to find that other than a slight bit of soreness all was well. I'd been very careful to stay hydrated fuelled and stretched between and after the races, so perhaps that had helped.

At 7am we left for Kilarney, as we drove there and Kilarney appeared out the mist I got that ominous feeling, reminding me of being back at school before we were allowed in to the exam room. While I had really enjoyed the 10km ascent last year, I had done it on fresh legs and having just completed the longest run in any one day (30.7km) previously, I knew to make it up without stopping was going to be a challenge in itself!
This has to be my favourite run of the weekend, its just such a huge challenge to get up there, the feeling when you do reach the top is one of tremendous achievement. The first 2km were a struggle, then we hit a small downhill and I was able to get in a rhythm. Geoff ran passed me and warned me Schultzy was close on my tail (we had been playing cat n mouse in every race). He caught me and we joked about whose turn it was to win this one, the hill almost won though but I managed to dig deep and push on. I caught up with fatbloke and his wheeled support crew at about 7km, the real 'nasty' bit of the climb, he was struggling a bit and on a walk break (not that you could blame him with 40kilos of extra weight to push), we had a bit of a chat and I headed upwards. At 9km he got me again, at this point though I felt like I was almost sprinting, I knew it was only a little bit longer before the downhill and breakfast. 58.4x finish, I was more than happy with that. It was so great that Cirque, Clairie and Ciaran were there just to edge me over the line that little bit easier too :)

1500meters, not a favourite, you spend longer preparing for it than you do running it. My legs were like lead by this point, a pretty uneventful out and back resulting in a 6.41 finish, which I guess is still 4.27/k but gee it felt harder!


Lunch must have been the best value of the year at $1, I bought some Guide biscuits but didnt actually take the biscuits, I must have felt like I should have been paying more for lunch :)
I was really pleased to find out that I'd managed to get first place for the 10km in my category and third for the 1500meters... sure its not all about the winning, but its kinda nice at the same time.


Made it home at about 5pm last night after dropping people off along the way, I wasnt as tired as I thought I'd be and I am only slightly sore this morning (perhaps I just have really bad case of DOMS to come!). My total time for the weekend was 3.46, I'm not sure how indicative this is for a full marathon, but my goal time is sub-4hours and at least I now feel like it should be achievable.


A really special weekend, with a lot of fanastic people who cheer and cheer for you regardless of whether you are first, last or somewhere in the middle of the field.. Who could ask for a better (running) weekend away.

8 Comments:

At Mon May 22, 01:57:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on a great weekend of running Chelle. Wow, who would've thought that you were battling that stupid injury not that long ago.

If its any indication last year my GC time was just 7 minutes slower than my Warwick time. I think Glenno's was even less than 5 minutes. And the good thing is with your comeback you haven't peaked yet, whereas we had both plateaued (sp?) so your marathon time could be rather nice :-)

Glad you enjoyed the weekend, as nervewracking and painful as it is its such a letdown when the last race is over and done with, kinda "is that all there is?".

Recover well. Might catch you at Pat's (well, see you at Pat's) later in the week.

 
At Mon May 22, 02:03:00 pm, Blogger Clairie said...

I'm with Tesso. The numbers seem to be fairly indicative of what you are capable off and depending where you are in your training you can improve.
I think my overall time was 50sec better than my one and only marathon...but with more training I would hope to do a 5-10min PB at Warwick. Next year maybe...

Be proud of the bling...we were so proud to see you get up there everytime. Must remember to bring that extra bag for all the medals next year heh?

What a great event...definitely a permanent on my calendar.

 
At Mon May 22, 02:25:00 pm, Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like an absolutely fantastic weekend Chelle - might have to think about this one for '07.

Congratulations on such a great campaign result.

 
At Mon May 22, 05:10:00 pm, Blogger miners said...

Brilliant to see you running so well after the injury problems only a little while ago Chelle. Your overall time for the whole shebang was a great result!

Fantastic to catch up with you again - really looking forward to doing so again in a few weeks :)

 
At Mon May 22, 06:15:00 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

Woohoo! Go, Chelle! Great to see you getting so much bling ;) We shall have to keep everyone else in our age category away so this can carry on for both of us! *hee!*

Great running, lovely spending time with you :) Hurry up next year, I reckon!

 
At Tue May 23, 01:09:00 pm, Blogger Toasty said...

you can attack a sub-4 with alot of confidence

you ran well this weekend, great to see some of your strong finishes and thanks for not making any noise through the wall next door

 
At Tue May 23, 07:51:00 pm, Blogger Jen said...

You Bling Queen!

Congrats on 5 great runs over the weekend. What an awesome weekend it was. It was great to catch up with you again. See you GCM!

 
At Wed May 24, 11:22:00 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic weekend, Chelle! 5 runs, dinners & chats - perfect! You did well to keep up to all of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home