Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Monday 6 October 2008

When is a taper not a taper...

If you havent done too many long runs, is it really suitable to be tapering the week before a long run, I mean, if I reduce my Km's by much more I'll be going backwards!

I've been a bit busy recently, including a long weekend to Melbourne for the AFL GF, which was great, despite the result. I have managed to keep to my schedule quite well though, including a long (the longest in quite some time) run of 15km last Saturday. MJ and I headed off from my place, up to the Hornibrook Bridge (5km, pretty straight forward), along Sandgate (5km's also and a bit tired, plus my shorts started to rub so I had to take a walk break to ease that... just as well I found out before Sunday though) and then heading back towards my house (the final 5km, and I was starting to feel the heat and lack of long run impact), finishing at 14.6kms in a very very long (timewise) run! Still, I had no pain or soreness the next day, and on the basis that time-on-feet is good training even if there were a few walking breaks, it wasnt too bad. I also now dont think I will completely crash'n'burn this weekend.

So, for the taper, puntermatt has recommended a 30minute run today. Usually I would do that on a Monday morning, but I had a wedding last night down the Gold Coast and it was quite late by the time I got home, so I will make the most of the warm day and do my run tonight.

I am not sure whether it is smart or insane to be running the Melbourne Half this weekend, but I guess there is only one way to find out.

1 Comments:

At Mon Oct 06, 09:39:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

It will be a buzz - its such a fantastic event! And, no matter the result, it will make you realise how much you love running :)

See ya there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home