Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Tuesday 3 May 2005

PB for 3k time trial!

Funny how I almost didnt even go running this morning. I'd woken up with a sore throat and swollen glands and really felt just like rolling back over again when my alarm went off, but it was time trial morning and I really did want to see if I'd improved at all over the last month.

Even the warm-up down to Westend felt a struggle this morning, my legs felt like lead, my head was killing me and I could barely swallow. I was so tempted right there and then just to sit the time trial out and do it by myself when I was feeling better. I did the sprints to warm up my legs, felt a bit more energetic and decided to do the 3km, if nothing else it would be good exercise.

The first 500meters were really hard, I wasnt sure I was going to make it to the end of the first 1km, let alone the 2 after that. I dug deep and told myself I just had to hang in there for another 10mins or so. It was at this point I also realised that my stopwatch hadn't started properly - it really didnt feel like my morning so far. At about the 1.5km I was feeling fairly comfortable, I'd settled in to a good pace, and even was beginning to feel like I'd be able to scrape off a few seconds from my time... there must be something psychological about turning around at the end of the 2km and heading back down the finishing 1km as I found something I didnt know I had. Kicked in really hard and tried to think of everything I'd learnt over the past month.. I didnt just want to scrape a few seconds off, I wanted 10 or 20. I focused on the runner in front of me and managed to get ahead of them, only for them to fly past me with 20meters to go - it didnt matter though, I'd held in and dug hard and finished in 13.02, a PB by 46seconds!

Next time trial goal - sub 13mins! :)

2 Comments:

At Wed May 04, 01:19:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats Chelle!!!

13:02 when you're feeling sick - imagine what you'll do next month. And its great that you were feeling comfy in that second km, I always find it so hard.

Looking very sharp for the Gold Coast!

 
At Wed May 04, 03:17:00 pm, Blogger Clairie said...

That is amazing effort Chelle. Well Done. I bet that Sub 13 will seem so much easier next month!!

Keep it up :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home