Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Tuesday 30 May 2006

Annual Event

This morning was the 3Km TT, I was so nervous. On my way home from work on Monday night I was trying to work out what I wanted to do. I thought sub 13 ie: 12.59 was going to be good, with the hope of scoring a pb on my next one just prior to GCM. I decided to try and back off a bit with the pressure, so promised myself not to look at the splits other than the 1.5km turnaround which I wanted to get to in under 6.30 to make the 13mins achievable.

I ran down to Westend with Mark, it was his first Pat session and it was nice for once for a new face to not be new to me. I swear the group doubles in size fortnightly and we will need name tags soon. Anyway, the strides were feeling good and I was feeling pretty confident that I was going to get the 13, but you just never know until you get out there and actually start running.
The TT started. For once I felt like I wasnt being swallowed up by the group, so either I had started right at the back or I was actually running a bit faster than usual. Some of the usual suspects started to break away from the pack, the gap was stretching out there but I didnt feel like I was falling back too much like usual. At 500meters there is a slight hill, all good so far, the windchill kicked in at 1km and I was thinking about that and how cold my hands were and then there was the 1.5turnaround. Watch check... 6.18. Cool, 12seconds under target but with two small hills on the way back I figured the extra seconds were going to come in handy to keep it to 13mins.

Just as I was starting to tire on the last hill good ol' Matty stopped and waited for me and then proceeded to run the last 300meters in with me. I could have quite happily sat down before I got to the finish, I wasnt hurting so much as just had nothing left to give. I could hear Pat calling out 12.37, 36, 38 as I entered the chute. My pb of 12.49 was within in reach..... 12.44 I crossed the line and then promptly found a curb to hold on to.

I'm so excited a new pb, one year after my previous one of 12.49.

So on that basis this time next year I'll have another new pb.... hopefully they'll be a couple in between as well! :)

5 Comments:

At Tue May 30, 05:27:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Huuuuuuge congrats Chelle! What a great run you had. Matty is one in a million isn't he, I'd be flying home at the end too if only to get away from him :-)

So what is your 10k PB? I bet you have a new one of those on Sunday too.

 
At Tue May 30, 05:54:00 pm, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Wow - that's impressive kms for the month Chelle!

 
At Tue May 30, 07:33:00 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Sensational Chelle - congrats!

GCM look out :-)

 
At Tue May 30, 09:33:00 pm, Blogger miners said...

Yay!! More success!

And of course team F bloggers are looking good ... just on the photos alone, let alone the results ;)

 
At Wed May 31, 07:27:00 am, Blogger Clairie said...

Fabulous achievement Chelle.

I could hear Matty just behind me yelling the whole last km and I wondered who it was he was picking on :)

I think there will be another PB in succession in a few weeks time with all the work you are putting in.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home