Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Wednesday 7 June 2006

Jinxed

I wonder if its too late to delete yesterdays blog, I must have jinxed myself afterall.

Got home last night at about 8pm and was feeling slightly sore, I put it down to a good session in the morning on top of the Doomben run on Sunday and set my alarm for my Wednesday morning puppy run.

Legs were a bit tight when I got out of bed, gave them an easy stretch and started a slow run down the street to get them warmed up. The run went well, in fact I was feeling quite good, it was the stopping that hurt something chronic. I spent a long time stretching afterwards but certain muscles are tender to even the slightest touch, as if there is a very large knot there (?) and this was not a pleasant exercise. I managed to get in to my car and drove away to work, stepping out of the car was agony and I probably looked like someone with two false legs, half dragging them across the car park to get in to the lift. By the time I'd managed to get my coffee and get to my desk my mind was made up, first thing I did when I logged on was find the phone number for the sports massage I go to and I am booked in for this afternoon.... Its going to hurt, but if it prevents an injury or unnecessary time away from training then I'm quite happy with that.

So, sounds like a negative post, but actually I'm quite happy. Plan B for tomorrow morning is to not go to Pats and rest but then go on Friday instead. If Friday falls through there is still the longrun on Saturday to be taken gently. I'm not planning further than that, for all I know the massage will do the trick anyway :)

Post massge update:
At least I know its not all in my head now, the massage lady (funny how you can like someone who inflicts so much pain on you) said she hadnt come across trigger points as bad as mine in a long time. Not really sure what the medical definition of a trigger point is, I just know it hurts... a lot. I could actually feel her getting stuck on/in the muscle as she was trying to loosen them up. Nice.
She said I was fine to run tomorrow if I felt up to it, but to do some gentle stretching tonight. I will see how I feel before I go to bed and decide then, thinking though that a day off wont hurt and I will do the session on Friday instead.

I Google'd Trigger Point: A "trigger point" (TP), which is often caused by the muscle being overloaded, is a thick knot in a muscle which is palpable and tender (even painful to the touch) ..... Many runners are misdiagnosed with other problems when trigger points are actually the culprit. Trigger points are very adept at developing secondary to other problems like muscle strains, sacroiliac problems, and sometimes just as a result of a hard workout or race - So I'm glad I went off to the massage lady sooner rather than later, dont feel such a sook now :)

5 Comments:

At Wed Jun 07, 10:08:00 am, Blogger Tesso said...

Gee, you think your muscles hurt now, wait until the massage person gets their hands on you!

Anyway, good to hear with just over three weeks to go you are being very sensible.

See ya Saturday morn.

 
At Wed Jun 07, 12:39:00 pm, Blogger Matty said...

And don't forget RICE Chelle. It can work wonders - I've gone from not been able to walk one day to running freely the next.

The human body has amazing recuperative powers :)

 
At Wed Jun 07, 06:31:00 pm, Blogger Tamyka Bell said...

It's very interesting that the massage therapist said to stretch that night. I've found that if I stretch within 24hrs of a massage I'll set off the world's biggest stretch reflex and seize up, only instead of having lots of little knots, entire muscle groups turn into one giant knot - ouch!

Hope you're feeling better before you know it, and take care of yourself :-) A lot of us use tennis/golf balls/muscle mates to *cough* self service in between massage visits. Nasty but they work a treat on those trigger points.

 
At Wed Jun 07, 07:57:00 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like the massage was a great idea. Don't be afraid to take a rest day tomorrow. I sometimes feel REALLY beaten up after a tough massage.

 
At Sat Jun 10, 03:00:00 pm, Blogger Toasty said...

where would the fun be if it didn't hurt every now and then?

glad to hear it won't be slowing you down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home