Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Sunday 22 January 2006

Oh to be a runner again...

Saturday, 23rd Jan
Met at the Regatta on Saturday morning, Lis, Sam and I had already agreed to do a loop down to UQ. Sam was hoping to do 15km, but after finding 11km a bit sore the week before and under strict orders to run carefully and strapped by the physio, I had half thought I would turn back after 6km. Another girl joined us also, and the four of us made our way towards the UQ, it was nice to be doing something different from the river and the chatting allowed the perhaps not so pretty main road surroundings at the start of the run to be ignored.
We followed the road down to the main campus and began a loop. I was feeling pretty good up until half way around the campus when my lack of longer runs (and fitness) started to take its toll. I concentrated on what my physio had told me about falling in to my stride and after a 30 second break when we were deciding whether to turn left or right once we came across a road, I was feeling okay. We got back to where we started and then ran through the campus accommodation and along the river back towards the regatta. A fairly short, though noticeable incline of a hill left me short of breath and the next couple of k's back to the Regatta felt a lot harder than they probably should.
The other girls decided to keep running when we got to the Regatta, as we had done closer to 13km then the desired 15km run. 13km (will have to get that confirmed) was fine by me though and I used the extra time to get in some stretches. I felt a lot better for the most of the rest of the day than the previous week. In the evening we took the kids to see the Monster Trucks, and I did feel my legs becoming quite stiff during that, they seem fine again today though.


Sunday, 22nd Jan
I wanted to go for a run again today, but, I am being sensible about running and so resisted the urge. Instead I did some of the new stretches, cleaned the house to keep busy (oh joy) and went to the shops and bought some pre-requiste Gatorade powder (the other jar I had almost crystalised due to lack of use!!), on my way to the checkout I noticed 4 small tins of creamed rice selling a bundle, so picked one of those up to, will be a good little snack pre-Caboolture. Speaking of Caboolture, the girl who joined us for a run on Saturday is going to be our third and final team member, so that worked out really quite well! I almost feel like a runner again! :)

3 Comments:

At Sun Jan 22, 07:00:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Nice work on Saturday Chelle. That's not the easiest of runs out to UQ, which its the first bit to be cut out when we want to shorten our river loops.

Thanks for looking after new girl Prue. What a great team you've got lined up, you guys are gonna have a ball!

 
At Sun Jan 22, 08:04:00 pm, Blogger Clairie said...

Whats all this talk about 'almost' feeling like a runner.

Who else would get up for a 6am start to go and run 13km other than 'a runner'????

Well done for Saturday and it looks like Caboolture will just be full of so many wonderfully familiar faces with you guys out there.

Keep up the good efforts (and sensibility) with your come back Chelle!

 
At Mon Jan 23, 10:23:00 am, Blogger miners said...

what a great run for you Chelle - really glad to hear you stuck with the plan, particularly taking the extra time with the stretches :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home