Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Wednesday 25 January 2006

Sssssssssuper SSssssssseven Km run

Tuesday, 24th January

Beautiful weather this morning, much less humid that my previous couple of runs have been recently. Bongo and myself set off on our usual track of up over the highway bridge and down the back of the racetrack... when I think about it I'm really sure why there is a foot bridge there, all it does is lead down to the race track (where there is almost never an actual big race) so who they thought was going to use the bridge I dont know. Anyway, its a good little hill to warm up the legs quickly and Bongo loves racing down the other side... between you and me, I think he knows hes about to be let off his lead.

So, we get down the otherside of the bridge, and I always like to go about 10meters or so, just so when I let Bongo off his lead he has less chance of bolting back up the bridge and we start our little run around the back of the race course. Probably done about 20meters, when I did this unconscious contorted twist mid-air. My body must have reacted quicker than I was able to compute, as there on the grounding sliding across the path, about 5cm from where my foot was about to land was a brown snake. I managed to do a quick side step to my right, then back to my left to grab the puppy so he wouldnt take an exploratory bite of our new found friend and watched as the snake slithered off in to the grass in the direction of the wetlands. Sure was a good way to get my heart going, though not the way I'd intended when we first set out. Compared to that the rest of the run was pretty uneventful... Bongo played race horse as per usual and I enjoyed the relative cool. Got back home feeling good and in a comparable time to previous recent runs.

Next scheduled (snake free) run is probably just a 5km on Friday and then maybe another 13km on Saturday.

3 Comments:

At Wed Jan 25, 04:11:00 pm, Blogger Clairie said...

OMG If there is one thing in this life that I hate....its snake's oh and spiders.

Lucky you didn't twist the ankle doing all that sidestepping :)

 
At Fri Jan 27, 02:43:00 pm, Blogger miners said...

oh what fun! haven't come across a slithery one for a long while - but with the heat up your way at the moment, it doesn't surprise me much. Glad to hear that Bongo wasn't off doing some exploring in front of you at the time :0

 
At Sun Jan 29, 04:14:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Holy guacomole Chelle - a snake!!! Bet that made you run faster!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home