Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Saturday 1 April 2006

A talk and a run

Friday, 31st March
Last night was the official launch to the PCRG GC Marathon campaign. Pat, as usual, did us proud and has collected over $7000 of sponsorship, providing nibbles, music and random draw prizes (that everyone got!). Last year we saw a clip of Pat winning his first GC Marathon, this year another bit of footage from a different year (he won again). Its so good to have a coach who you know believes in what he is talking about and it hasnt just come from a text book. Anyway, Steve gave a talk on footwear and touched on injury prevention, of course the beloved ITB was a hot topic & although I didnt learn anything for it, everything fitted in nicely with what I've been told over the past 6 months and what I am currently doing. The night finished up just after 10pm, and after dropping Langy and MJ off on my way home it was almost 11pm by the time I got to bed, still the alarm was set for 6am for my solo run.

Saturday, 1st April
How easily I could have rolled over this morning, not a great nights sleep, but with nothing planned for the rest of the day I decided I could always have a nanna nap later. Before leaving this morning I did some tests on my shoes that Steve had shown us last night, they seem to be in pretty good condition.
I wanted to do 2 hours today and decided to add an extra loop to my long run (15km) of last week. After two false starts, as puppy decided he wanted to come too and got out under the fenced and started to follow me down the street, I was heading out towards the bike path up to the Hornibrook bridge, I switched my usual music to the radio for a bit of company and charged on. Taking Steves advice after about 20mins I stopped and had a quick, calf, quad, hammy stretch. I couldnt believe how much better I felt after that, in future I will be trying to do this a lot more. The loop as per last week took me up to the Hornibrook bridge and then along the shorncliffe front, it was pretty warm out there this morning and I choose to drink almost all my water by the time I got to the end of the esplanade so I took 2mins out to fill up my water bottles before carrying on around the headland.
The headland has a rather steep hill on it, so after charging up there I enjoyed the nice view and cruisey downhill slope on the otherside. There were a lot of boats just off the coast this morning, must be some good fishing out there at the moment. The rest of the way home (about 40mins) was flat and I was able to get out of the sun a bit. All up I did 1.56mins. I'm not 100% sure on the distance, originally I thought 20km, but maybe a bit less.

Currently sitting here with RICE-ing my knee, as is the norm for me after a longrun from home, but no real niggles and no pain at all.

1 Comments:

At Sat Apr 01, 02:40:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Yay Chelle! Almost 2 hours of running and no real niggles and no pain. Things are on the up and up!!

It was a great night last night wasn't it. To be surrounded by so many enthusiastic runners sure inspired me. The DVD was fantastic, especially the sprint finish Pat put on - that'll be you in 14 weeks time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home