Chelles Running Blog

Little Pom who met an Aussie eight years ago and moved over here to be with him. Love Brisbane and all it has to offer, not sure if I would have been as keen about getting up at 5am during the English winter for a run!

Wednesday 19 April 2006

Scared now....

Dont you just hate it when you cant work out what to do for the best, I keep making up my mind only to change it again.

I committed to do the Brissie Half as a pacer, I'm still happy with that, my dilemma is that while I requested (with MJ) to do a 2/2.10 hour time I have been given a solo pace time of 1.55. I am struggling with this as;
A/ I feel like I am just getting back on track from an injury and dont want to anything to compromise that;
B/ my pb is only 1.47, which was GC last year. Since then I ran an (injured) 1.58 at Noosa and only have only done one race since which was 19km in two hours at Caboolture;
C/ I really dont want to let any pacer assisted people down;
D/ its a solo run, which is a bit scary due to all of the above... there would be no pulling out!

I know I am 100% better than I was at Caboolture in terms of speed and distance, when I ran that I hadnt done more than 10km since Noosa (4 months), my 3km tt has me at 4.40's, my longest run this year is 22km, a 1.55 Half is about 5.42/K. There is no reason why I shouldnt be able to do it, yet still I have this nagging worry... does anyone out there know how much above your pb you should be pacing at. I think I probably just need a confidence lift... how do I get that in 10 days though... ideas on a postcard please :)

7 Comments:

At Wed Apr 19, 04:38:00 pm, Blogger Tesso said...

Chelle, you don't have to be able to do the 1:55 easily, just as long as you can do it ... which you can. You aren't obliged to run back and forth, talk, motivate, crack jokes etc. Just run the right pace and let the troops follow.

If you like to run with your mp3 player, take it along, especially if it helps.

The most important thing is that you are happy about doing the distance and that you aren't risking injury to yourself by doing it.

 
At Wed Apr 19, 07:57:00 pm, Blogger speedygeoff said...

I think if you are good at even pace in your flat out racing you should be OK as long as you think the time is achievable and want to try for it from the start. Unlike in a marathon, you don't need any time up your sleeve, so you can set out at dead even pace and if at the end you find that was ambitious and slow down, tell the others to kick on without you while you have a breather! Not every race is the perfect race; no-one will blame you if it's not your best on the day.

 
At Wed Apr 19, 11:26:00 pm, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

You're looking at 8 minutes slower than your pb, which over the 21k equates to something like (does quick mental arith.) about 20 seconds per k.

That's a big step back from the bleeding edge, so provided that you are still in roughly the same form as when you did the pb, you'll be right.

A speedygeoff said thoug, don't worry too much if it turns out to be a bad day. If you can get your train most of the way, they can do the rest on their own, no worries. Just carry the splits for every km and keep it even and, most of all, have fun. Pacing is often more fun that racing :-)

Gnome

 
At Thu Apr 20, 02:04:00 pm, Blogger Clairie said...

I have full confidence in you Chelle.

I remember Tesso and Nick and many others who all doubted their ability to pace once they had committed. Yet they did it - and it was extremely rewarding.

You are in good form and though I know between now and the race you will struggle with doubts and nerves, it WILL all be worth it.

Get a plan and let everyone know what that is.

Just smile the whole way and it will relax you :)

 
At Thu Apr 20, 09:37:00 pm, Blogger Matty said...

I think it'll be fun Chelle - I love pacing. As Clairie said, just smile and enjoy it.

By the way, its actually 5:27's you need to do:

km Splits
1 5:27
2 10:54
3 16:21
4 21:48
5 27:15
6 32:42
7 38:09
8 43:36
9 49:03
10 54:30
11 59:57
12 1:05:24
13 1:10:51
14 1:16:18
15 1:21:45
16 1:27:12
17 1:32:39
18 1:38:06
19 1:43:33
20 1:49:00
21 1:54:27
21.1 1:55:00


http://www.sydneystriders.org.au/ToolsSplits.aspx

 
At Fri Apr 21, 09:10:00 pm, Blogger Toasty said...

you'll be fine ..... just have a few tricks up your sleeve .... to get you started, I recommend tying the balloons to the best looking running in the group when they aren't looking

 
At Sun Apr 23, 04:24:00 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

I'm sure you'll be great, dude! I'm contemplating running with you actually... I want to break 2 hours, so I'll prolly float somewhere between you and MJ :)

Looking forward to it :)

H xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home